Thursday, March 5, 2009

"Hey Jenny told me to tell you something."
"What then?" I said tartly as I was bent over the hose pipe, trying to wind it back up.
"YOur one of the family, now."
"Ok, nice."
"Yeah" he said as he shoved some ice down my bum crack.
I turned and ran after him with what I hadn't wound up of the hose pipe. he scooted out of sight back into the cafe. Zac is his name and his mum Geo and Letty her partner own the cafe I am now working for literally a stones throw from where I live. Zac is an Italian New Yorkers boy, aged sixteen trying to pull off 18 with the older ladies, which are me and Jenny at the moment. "You see we have fun, don't we!?" he said enthusiastically. Jenny, the girl who I thought would bite my head off, unzipped his flies cheekily and said. "Yeah" I can't help but crumple up inside when things have to be discussed and dissected in this way, like the very American response to something which isn't that funny but should be "Thats so funny uha." The uha is a poor attempt at a laugh that never really happens. 'If its funny stop saying so and just laugh' I want to throw back in their face with a resounding clanger in the conversation. I'm feeling a lot of disconnect in communications right now. I want to be here but I don't click with any of the people here, frame of mind. This smack in the face from the boys has shaken me up a bit and a lot of good came from today aside from the outburst from Tyler "Look at that bit of salad you left on the table and the stuff you left all over the side table..i'm sorry but I just had to move it in to the corner, I don't want to parent you." "Look I'm sorry I'm no minimalist and clutter does seem to accumulate where ever I go but I have tried! I mean what are surfaces for if not for putting things on, they are certainly not for looking at, I mean people don't put them on their walls do they. Well, i wouldn't be surprised considering the kind of concrete slabs that pass for modern art these days. Infact what a great idea for an art installation. It could be a reflection of the modern day obsession with cleaning things off surfaces to the point that we have forgotten what they are for in the first place." So I was pissed off about particulars but had to learn that is the way of the world and people are exasperating at times, me in particular, so just deal with it. I did the very mature thing and said sorry, hugged him, told myself I had to get tidier, that they were right to give me kick up the arse and sorry again. 
New project is to collect convo's that are a-typical of the world we live in, values, stereotypes, real cliche movie moments to show these things don't just exist in the media but are played out in reality through us to the point where soon the people who come up with all these genius new ways of marketing things or in any act of creation won't be able to come up with anything original at all. Now originality lies in the awkward cliche-phobic story lines that can only be unparalleled the more fucked up and twisted they get. So we have ended up with a bunch of inscrutable offshoots from the popular absurdist genre that is O so desperate to prove themselves to have something different to say. And modern day society will only turn them into another one of its cliches sooner or later, as the rate of recycling and usury is only escalating. There is still alot of new to be explored in the cross-cultural context. Thats where the real stuff is at. Predictability, repetition and regurgation will reign even amongst the new intellectuals as the world around which we look for inspiration will resemble just that, so even the most rebellious response in art will not escape the refined confines of the uniform code form stage of universality unfolding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment